Original CAD code in the wild?

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Wed May 23 10:01:24 CDT 2018

At 09:31 PM 5/20/2018, Randy Dawson via cctalk wrote:
>For a while I have collected bits of legacy CAD, most recently
>Martin Hepperle sent me what I believe is the last version of
>Hank Christianson's MOVIE.BYU, a FORTRAN based 3D modeling and animation system.

I supported MovieBYU 3D object import/export in my 3D conversion tool,
InterChange.  Although it didn't have any commercial appeal, it did
impress the BYU grads at Viewpoint Datalabs.

I look forward to seeing more emulated and virtual machine recreations
of old software situations.  You should be able to run an old environment
easily on a desktop or even in a web browser.  I think they're educational
for students of today and tomorrow.

Is that MovieBYU code on the web somewhere?

At 06:37 PM 5/22/2018, Tomasz Rola via cctalk wrote:
>    "The BRL-CAD source code repository is the oldest known public
>    version-controlled codebase in the world that's still under active
>    development, dating back to 1983-12-16 00:10:31."
>[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRL-CAD ]
>
>I could not verify this claim, because I could not load SourceForge
>page before my patience ran out (thank you, Javascript, I guess).

I remember ordering BRL-CAD source and manuals, perhaps directly
from them in the late 1980s.  It was massive even back then.

- John