Old newsreader source code

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:52:47 CDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 9:18 AM, geneb via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Rich, if you point a reader at nttp.olduse.net, you can start reading in
> 1988 again. :)  The most recent messages posted are from 05/10/88.  The
> messages that appear on the server are exactly 30 years behind the current
> date.  It's pretty cool.  Last year was the Great Renaming. :)

Oh, man... I was around for that.  I was just learning the ropes and
then the entire world changed.  I was on an Ultrix machine and not
quite dialled into all the latest things like the cool kids on the
leading edge, so I remember struggling with the now-obsolete Netnews
package and trying to figure out why all my news was going into "junk"
- it was because the default catalog file (I forget the name) had all
the old newsgroup names and I didn't have an easy way to get a new
one.  ISTR one of my friends at Ohio State let me Kermit into his box
to pick up a copy directly from him and that fixed me right up.

When Google put Usenet archives online in 2001, this subject came up -
I can't find any of my posts from net.micro.amiga, but I was there.  I
got an Amiga and got on Usenet about the same time, in 1986.  It's
possible I was reading news in late 1985, but I was running a news
server at work by 1986.

-ethan