DEC Mouse replacement

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Fri May 4 09:40:31 CDT 2018

I had run into those bits on the web and also a ps2 driver for the
arduino on github.
The protocols are similar for the PS2 mouse and the DEC mouse, 3 bytes
encoded with movement data.

Generic PS/2 Mouse Packet Bits
BYTE    7    6    5    4    3    2    1    0
0    yo    xo    ys    xs    ao    bm    br    bl
1    xm
2    ym
Code    Description
yo    Y-Axis Overflow
xo    X-Axis Overflow
ys    Y-Axis Sign Bit (9-Bit Y-Axis Relative Offset)
xs    X-Axis Sign Bit (9-Bit X-Axis Relative Offset)
ao    Always One
bm    Button Middle (Normally Off = 0)
br    Button Right (Normally Off = 0)
bl    Button Left (Normally Off = 0)
xm    X-Axis Movement Value
ym    Y-Axis Movement Value

DEC mouse bits  (4800 Baud RS232)
BYTE    7    6    5    4    3    2    1    0
0    1   0   0  sx  sy  l m r
1    xm
2    ym
Code    Description
sy    Y-Axis Sign Bit
sx    X-Axis Sign Bit
ao    Always One
l,m,r  Left, Middle, Right button
xm    X-Axis Movement Value
ym    Y-Axis Movement Value

This level of similarity made me think that a simple controller like the
arduino could easily handle this.

Doug