Digitising collections of microfiche - Re: Looking for opinions...

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Sat Mar 31 11:36:06 CDT 2018

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018, geneb via cctalk wrote:
>> I'm probably WAY over simplifying this because I don't have a grasp of the
>> optics involved, but wouldn't it be possible to get a good image of
>> individual pages on a microfiche by using a DSLR with the right lens and a
>> CNC X/Y table made from one of the large (8x10) LED illuminators used to
>> treat SAD?  The lights are pretty bright and are under $50.
>
> Getting EVEN illumination throughout the frame will still be an issue. BIG
> issue for photographic images, but still a minor issue for bitonal text and
> schematics.
> Theoretical ideal is a point source with collimating "condenser" lenses (like
> the top half of an enlarger).  BUT, for this, a diffuse light source or an
> added diffuser MIGHT be adequate.  Particularly for bitonal, where half-tone
> density, or color balance, is not significant.

The unit I saw last week was very even.  The person that owned it uses it
for studio lighting for video production.

>> The X/Y table build would be very simple and cheap to build.
>
> For you, maybe.  I'm a little overwhelmed contemplating that part of the
> project.  Even the film holder is a little work.
> Which is why I was suggesting gutting a fiche reader for those mechanical
> parts, and then adding positioning mechanisms.

The X/Y table is probably the simplest part of the build - every part of
it is a solved problem, from the motion gantry to the controller.  It
could be driven by an Arduino Uno and a pair of Pololu Stepper Drivers
connected to a pair of 1.8 degree NEMA17 steppers.  The gantry could be
made from 3D printed carriages equipped with 608 skate bearings riding
atop rails made from 1/2" EMT conduit.

The camera system is WAY outside my wheelhouse, but I'd be happy to work
with someone to get an X/Y gantry built.  I've got plenty of idle 3D
printers and tons of unused skate bearings. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007