Speed now & then (Space and time?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Mar 29 18:05:10 CDT 2018

On 03/29/2018 02:24 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>>> HOWEVER, a variant of "Boyle's Law" warns that software and content
>>> will expand to fit all available space and speed.
>
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018, allison via cctalk wrote:
>> We have proof and it is us.
>
> Or, as Walt Kelly ("Pogo") said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
>
>> I posited that 2 decades ago in a wired article.  My CP/M machine booted
>> in seconds while waiting for
>> the winders box to decide if it would/could.
>
> "The new machine is so much faster, that it can almost get out of its
> own way!"

As a real contrast, consider, say, the IBM 1620.  Go look up the cycle
times on that beast.

And yet, productive work was performed on it.  Indeed the industrial
variant, the 1710 was used for early process control.

Now that I don't need to work on the bleeding edge, I prefer to see how
much can be done with the least.

It's fun.

--Chuck