Digitising collections of microfiche - Re: Looking for opinions...

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Wed Mar 28 20:23:42 CDT 2018

On 29/03/2018 00:19, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:

> I think Bellows would be the only sane way to approach this.  You
> could do it with extension tubes, but they’re a pain.  Another thing
> to consider is a light source.  You’re going to need a fair amount of
> light, given the necessary extension to get the magnification.

I was going to suggest a Bowens Illumitran (which I have) but that sort
of exercise wouldn't be kind to the flash tube.  LEDs would be my
preferred solution; given the small area you might only need one bright
white 5mm LED.

The Illumitran uses bellows, but for a lot of DEC fiche, the page size
is constant so extension tubes might actually be better - they won't slip.

> One of my favorite books, I think I’m up to 5 editions of it. :-)
> You’d be hard pressed to find a photography book with more data in
> it!

My favourite is L.P.Clerc "Photography" (six volumes), but second is
either M.J.Langford's 3-volume "Photography" set, mainly because I got
it for college, or the "Ilford Photography Manual".

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull