Many thanks to Glen's Vintage Computer Info

Alan Frisbie Flash688 at flying-disk.com
Wed Mar 28 16:45:29 CDT 2018

I don't know if Glen Slick is on this list, but I owe him one!

I am working on an elderly PDP-11/23 system running RSX-11M v3.2 -- too
old to know about MSCP disk controllers like the RQDX1/2/3 and compatibles.
It is only sysgened for RK05, RL01/2, and an incompatible 3rd-party disk,
but neither the RK05 or RL01/2 controllers are present.

To do my work, I thus need an RL02 and controller... OR something that
emulates an RL02.   I had planned to post a note here today, asking for
recommendations for RL01/2 (RLV11) emulators, but got distracted.

Instead, I set about making an inventory of several boxes of Q-Bus cards
I had accumulated over the years.   Most were DEC, but a bunch were weird
3rd-party controllers, one of which was a TD Systems TDL-12.   What the hell
is a TDL-12?

My Google searching led me eventually to Glen's Vintage Computer Info
https://sites.google.com/site/glensvintagecomputerinfo/home
and his page on the TD Systems TDL-12: https://sites.google.com/site/glensvintagecomputerinfo/td-systems/tdl-12

The TDL-12 turns out to be a Q-Bus SCSI controller, emulating up to
four RL01/2 drives -- exactly what I needed!   Glen's web page even
includes a PDF of the original TD Systems manual for the board.

So, Glen, whoever and wherever you are, I thank you from the bottom of
my heart for creating and maintaining a web page about this orphan
controller.   You have saved me a lot of time, effort, and probably
a bit of money as well.

As an added bonus, Glen also has a page for an obscure HP Q-Bus logic
analyzer card, which I also have.   But that's a project for another
day.

Thanks,
Alan Frisbie