PATA hard disks, anyone?

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Tue Mar 27 19:04:43 CDT 2018

-------- Original message --------
From: Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Date: 3/27/18  4:43 PM  (GMT-08:00)
To: "Tapley, Mark via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Digging around on the pointer from Al to backblaze, I found this, which,
to me is far more meaningful in terms of presentation of data:

Interesting but consistent with my informal observations. My Hitachi enterprise class 4gb hdd are still going strong after multiple power outages and almost 5 years of 24x7 on time. Granted not much reading and writing occurs but the fact that they are spinning is probably the biggest wear and tear on them.
Helium drives? Only if you have the money to replace them yearly and have a RAID 1 set of a RAID 6 volume....
-Ali