System/36 Password Cracking

John Ball ball.of.john at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 23:09:02 CDT 2018

For those following from the VCFed thread I have been working on an IBM 5363
that I have managed to get running up to the IPL sign on. For everyone else
this project is being documented at
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?62860-IBM-5363-IBM-System-36
>From there while I know who last owned the machine (from picking it up at
their dock) me and my contact at this company have been unable to dig up the
MASTER or administrator login information. I ahve a couple leads that might
be either the username or password but so far no comnination has worked. Yes
I am aware of the old USENET post regarding cracking the login on a 5362 (
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.sys3x.misc/Vi57cbw1ofQ
) however the CE panel on the 5363 is a lot more simplified and I cannot do
several of the steps. Also I do not have the system key but I can probably
hotwire it
Does anyone know of an alternate procedure for recovering or finding a lost
MASTER login?

-John