cctalk Digest, Vol 42, Issue 14

Fred fred at MISER.MISERNET.NET
Wed Mar 14 16:03:41 CDT 2018

> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 14:28:11 -0600
> From: Grant Taylor <cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net>
> Subject: Re: cctalk Digest, Vol 42, Issue 13
>
> If power / cooling / noise wasn't an issue, I'd also be interested in an
> Multiprise 3000.

> But, I'm happily married and I would like to keep it that way.

The power requirements aren't that bad, are they?

I think Guy Sotomayor (spelling, apologies if I'm butchering ...) has a
MP3K that I believe I bid against him on eBay once, and he ended up
getting it (which made me feel a bit better).  It's what I call a 1/4
fridge size.

There were/are multi MP3K's on eBay currently that I've been watching, and
one didn't know if there was an OS on it (Not sure I'd want to fight that
battle with IBM, although a corner of the Internet lengthy forum post
(yes, anecdotes are not evidence) leads me to believe they at least are
"sympathetic" to hobbyists, but they won't publically admit it.   ... but
I still didn't want to chance getting a paperweight.  The other one is way
too much for me $ wise.

I have a basement and 220V available.   For an IBM Mainframe of my own,
damn the power bill.  :)   As long as it doesn't have the awful whine of
an Alpha DS10-L I don't think my wife would mind.

I will admit to myself that at some point there will be a limit to how
many systems I can have at the house though running 24/7.... :)

Fred