Quad density Pertec

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sun Mar 11 15:00:03 CDT 2018

On 3/11/18 10:28 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 03/11/2018 08:19 AM, Al Kossow wrote:
>> I've scrapped six of those already. They aren't worth anything.
>>

>> On 3/11/18 1:23 AM, jim stephens wrote:
>>> I think this is actually a quad density half inch.  If the guy didn't burn it up (says probably 12v fault) it would be
>>> handy.
>>>

> Isn't that a Kennedy streamer?  Sure looks like one.
>
> I note that the Kennedy incremental 7 inch reel drive in the NASA flight
> case hasn't attracted a lot of interest.
>
> That sample tape that I got, however does verify that the parity track
> on this telemetry stuff is unused.   So that explains the 8 data inputs
> with no parity on the NASA model.
>
> --Chuck

since this has bounced to a public mailing list

Vintage-Unisys-9662-Reel-to-Reel-Computer-Mainframe-Tape-Drive-FREE-SHIPPING/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222833663701

It is a Kennedy 9662, Pertec interface (no SCSI connectors on the back)

100% chance the capstan has turned to goo.

The transport is particularly rough on tapes, as in snapping sticky ones.

It does have good 800bpi recovery, but I've broken too many tapes on them
to trust 'em.

The NASA Kennedy is a 8" reel, so it's no good for 2400' tapes.

I've got a Kennedy 9000 that I'm probably just going to scrap. I can't
deal with 100lb much of anything any more.