Thicknet/10base5 Test Segment: The Cable is In!

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jun 26 23:03:40 CDT 2018

On 06/26/2018 06:02 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> There clearly is confusion about what terminators are and how they work.
> It's all perfectly straightforward elementary classic E & M, and any
> halfway decent RF theory textbook will make things clear.  Even a source
> as elementary as the ARRL Radio Amateur Handbook will serve.

I wouldn't call it "confusion" on my part.  I'd choose "ignorance" and I
believe it's more accurate, at least for me.

Coming from nearly 20 years of networking and many colleagues that did
things because they were told without asking, these types of minutia,
yet important, details get lost.

I've got to say that I think a hybrid of computers and amateur radio is
a wonderful thing.  Especially when training for one crosses over and
supports the other.

Throw in a healthy dose of DC & AC (low Hz RF) and I think you've got a
winning combination.  Certainly more than the sum of the parts.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die