Thicknet/10base5 Test Segment: The Cable is In!

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:20:29 CDT 2018

The intrusive part does indeed refer to the "intrusive to continued
service" aspect (e.g. cutting the line, crimping new ends...or at best
unscrewing the N connectors and removing a coupler fitting). I'm not sure
about the lesser insertion loss/impedance bump of vampire taps vs. N
connectors, but the vampire taps almost certainly make it much simpler to
keep the taps at 2.5 meter intervals, thus lessening the "stacking up"
effect of reflections from the small impedance bumps of the taps.

Interestingly, Cabletron even calls the ST-500-02, which comes with a BNC
adapter, a "tap." This "tap" gets tee'd in to a 10base2/thinnet run like
any other thinnet card. The N type tap seems to be the least common, at
least judging by surplus channels. Which is kind of weird when you think
about it -- you'd sort of expect that most vampire taps were abandoned in
place, on the cable they were installed on.

Thanks,
Jonathan