CDC 6600 display character generation

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 6 14:40:08 CDT 2018

One of the more interesting things about the DD60 display was the use of
2C43 "Lighthouse" UHF triode tubes to drive the CRT electrostatic
deflection.

Only being around briefly for the 170 system, I don't know how the
magnetic deflection was driven there.

I imagine that the cost of the DD60 was due in no small port by the use
of the CRTs--I believe they were produced in Germany.

As far as the keyboard, on more than one occasion, I discovered a CE
using a Popsicle stick to probe around among the switches from the
bottom.

Another interesting aspect was the use of speaker to produce a keypress
"chunk".  The was a volume control accessible under the keyboard, so you
could make the "chuck" to be quite loud.

--Chuck