how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jul 22 20:02:21 CDT 2018

> On Jul 22, 2018, at 8:46 PM, Warner Losh via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Somewhat of a tangent, but this just popped up for me.
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/07/microfilm-lasts-half-a-millennium/565643/
>
> and I thought of this thread. Apologies if it's a duplicate..
>
> Warner

Interesting.  The article seems to say that it isn't the images on the film that last 500 years, only the substrate.  The images would last too, if done by silver nitrate (original black & white technology).  Later dye based stuff, like the blue you see on DEC microfiche, not so clear.  Probably not; I wouldn't trust organic dyes to last a century.

I suppose that this stuff would be discussed on the Long Now Foundation website.

	paul