AIM 65 Cassette Test Program

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Sat Jul 21 21:01:11 CDT 2018

Bill,
   I’m not familiar with the program they mention for the AIM65, but in Section 9
of the User’s manual on bitsavers is a good description of how to set up cassette
recorders with the AIM65. If the recorder has a pause input the AIM65 can
control the tape both during read and write. If two cassette tapes were available
It could read assembly source code from one and write object to the other. (When
the computer came with 1K Ram expandable to 4K you did stuff like that.

On page 9-13 they do have two short test programs “SYN Write” and “SYN Read”
that can be used to adjust record and playback volume as well as the VR1 pot
on the AIM.

If they are just looking for ways to save and load programs the best way was to utilize
Teletype interface that is described on page 9-26. The described interface is for the
current loop that ASR33’s had but that is pretty easy to change to RS232 with some
external chips. With that interface 240 characters per second could be read or written.
If you upgraded the RAM a bit with an external board the AIM was quite a nice 6502
development tool. I built a number of things with it.

1. Instrument to measure the stability of vegetable oils. (See “Oil Stability Index”)
This analytical method is still used today but with more modern systems. It used
a ICL7109 12 bit A/D, 16 relays, a pen plotter, and a home built conductivity circuit
with 32KB Ram with software burned to 2532 EPROMs. We wrote the source
on a PDP-11/24 and loaded it into the AIM65 for local assembly and store to RAM.
We used 2K Byte battery backed up RAM (MK48Z02B-25) on the AIM till debugged
then burned an EPROM.

2. A data acquisition system for a Perkin Elmer AA / Graphite Furnace.

3. A converter to change 66.67 baud 6 bit ticker tape code to 9600 baud ASCII.
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticker_tape <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticker_tape> ) Believe or not there was one
commodity exchange still transmitting their data in this format in the 1980s and
Our PDP-11/44’s DZ11 interface could do 50,75,110 and higher baud but could read
this data. This used a 6522 to generate 16 times the 66.67 baud and was fed to
a UART to read it. 64 byte program, and 64 byte look-up table.

4. A remote monitor that provided video output, and RS232 data recording from
9 digital temperature meters. The meters were read by counting their clock
pulses during the down slope of the dual slope meter allowing each meter
to be read with three wires (Ground, Clock, Gate) that were switched with 74150
Chips.

So I have found memories of the AIM65 and the last time I had it set up about 2
years ago it still ran fine.

Mark