BASIC (Was: Reading HP2000 tapes

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Tue Jul 17 14:33:45 CDT 2018

At 03:53 PM 7/14/2018, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>On Sat, 14 Jul 2018, Ed Sharpe via cctalk wrote:
>>isn't the  basic  programs  also stored in tokinized  forms!?!?
>
>Yes.
>And the tokens are not the same between different brand implementations, or even between different versions, such as MBASIC 4 and MBASIC 5.
>http://fileformats.archiveteam.org/wiki/Tokenized_BASIC

I remember a detokenizer for RSTS BASIC-PLUS that's not on that list.

I think it was called a "decompiler" though.  Seemed like magic at the time.

Googling reveals "You may be remembering the BASIC PLUS
decompiler under RSTS.  RSTS BASIC PLUS was interpreted from "push-pop" code.
The symbol table was available in the compiled file, and the correspondence
between push-pop operations and BASIC PLUS source was very close, so you
could get back very reasonable code."

And our previous discussion of it a decade ago:

https://marc.info/?l=classiccmp&m=121804804023540&w=2

- John