An historical nit about FDDs

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:40:48 CDT 2018

IBM created the 8" diskette as an inexpensive and reliable means of
Memorex did ship a hard sectored R/W drive some time in 1972 likely
because Alan Shugart had jumped ship from IBM to Memorex.  Some sources
credit Shugart with inventing the diskette drive but that is not true he
had given the job to others on his team.   The Memorex 650 seems to have
an interface very similar to the IBM drives oddly enough, using step in
and step out signals.  The next year IBM shipped its first R/W drive the
single sided 33FD "Igar" a single sided soft sectored drive and larger
capacity.  It was first used in the 3741/42 key to diskette machines but
was used in a wide variety of IBM machines, as far as I know IBM never
sold the bare drives.

Because IBM never sold the drives themselves and the market impact of
the first Memorex drive may not have been really big, there was no real
standard so when Shugart Associates released the SA800 its proved to be
very popular and its interface became the defacto standard.

Paul.