8 inch floppies, decaying

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 04:52:10 CDT 2018

> On 11 Jul 2018, at 09:33, Terry Stewart via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Just my experience,  I once did a trial where I took two identical 5,25
> inch disks of the same batch from the same manufacturer.  These were clean
> disks which both formatted and verified just fine, but I wanted to see if
> IPA did indeed damage the disk.
>
> One I swabbed one with 75% IPA, the other with warm water with a touch of
> dishwashing liquid.
>
> On checking the IPA swabbed disk now showed a few damaged sectors.  The
> water/detergent one did not.
>
> It's not scientific (just one rep) and I was quite aggressive with the
> wiping.  However, it made me steer away from IPA.  Immersing the platters
> in warm water with a touch of detergent, and gently wiping (then air
> drying) works well for me when cleaning "dirty disks".
>
> Terry (Tez)
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I found another box so I’ve got 20 ‘new’ ones now. I’ll try all of the above methods and see where it gets me. Pity I don’t have any spare jackets but my plan was to attempt to get the CPT to boot and since the original boot disk has damaged sectors 0-3 and the previous owner didn’t make a copy I’m a bit stuck anyway.

It was good to be able to see actual documents on the data disks with ANADISK though, cheers Chuck :)

--
adrian/witchy
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest home computer collection?