8 inch floppies, decaying

Terry Stewart terry at webweavers.co.nz
Wed Jul 11 03:33:07 CDT 2018

Just my experience,  I once did a trial where I took two identical 5,25
inch disks of the same batch from the same manufacturer.  These were clean
disks which both formatted and verified just fine, but I wanted to see if
IPA did indeed damage the disk.

One I swabbed one with 75% IPA, the other with warm water with a touch of
dishwashing liquid.

On checking the IPA swabbed disk now showed a few damaged sectors.  The
water/detergent one did not.

It's not scientific (just one rep) and I was quite aggressive with the
wiping.  However, it made me steer away from IPA.  Immersing the platters
in warm water with a touch of detergent, and gently wiping (then air
drying) works well for me when cleaning "dirty disks".

Terry (Tez)