Bluebox boards, anyone?

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Wed Jan 31 07:04:28 CST 2018

Would anyone like a bluebox PCB or two?

This project was inspired by Don Froula's ProjectMF[1] in which he
presents a PIC-based bluebox[2] and PCB (handed out at HOPE in 2008).  A
big reason I like AVRs more than PICs is because the development software
is OSS and free.  So I reimplemented Don's bluebox in C for an AVR
ATtiny85.  The PCB started off an a drop-in replacement, but evolved into
something designed to fit into a Hammond 1591XXM box instead of
functioning as a lid for a Radio Shack 230-1801 box.  The Hammond box also
comes in transluscent blue!

The firmware code[3] is done.  I just have to do some tweaks once some
test PCBs[4] are made because on the prototype, I wired up the keypad a
bit strangely.  The code implements a 13-key bluebox, a DTMF keypad, a
redbox for US, Canada, and UK, greenbox, and 2600 dial pulse.  The PCB
needs work to correct some early design decisions that turned out to be
non-optimal.

[1] http://projectmf.org/
[2] http://projectmf.org/bluebox.html
[3] https://github.com/DavidGriffith/bluebox-avr