SCSI Controller Hanging...

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 10:47:55 CST 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Jack Harper via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Greetings to the List from the Snowy Rocky Mountains.
>
> Beautiful clear sunny day here at +9F :)
>
> The SCSI controller on the 68K development system (VMEbus) that I have
> cobbled together occasionally hangs after I reset one of the processor
> boards (there are four MVME177-005 68060 boards in the VME rack).
>
> The hang then happens when my software touches the SCSI drives via the
> ROM'd 68K/Bug I/O primitives and the hang will not go away even after
> another reset until I cycle power.
>
> I have never before dealt with SCSI as a programmer - does this sound like
> something is configured incorrectly?
>
> There is not much to configure.
>
> I point out that I am not certain that I have the termination resistors
> correct.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> I appreciate any advice.
>

> Regards,
>
> Jack
> Evergreen Colorado

Jack,
Yes, two things that I'd be checking
1) Make sure all drives are assigned a different number
2) Make sure you have termination somewhere.

Depending on the OS there are commands to display the scsi devices
attached, as the OS sees them.

Bill