New TestFDC Results Registry

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jan 18 16:37:46 CST 2018

On 01/18/2018 12:46 PM, Adrian Graham via cctalk wrote:

> Gaaaah, talk about the wrong timing for this XD. I say this because I
> just bought an AHA-1524CF on various folk’s recommendations (not from
> here) a couple of weeks ago only to find I still couldn’t really
> manipulate SSSD images then tonight I read a message on VCFED from
> our own Chuck Guzis saying there were two controller chips in the
> 1542CF (national and broken Intel) and I discovered I had a broken
> Intel one.
>
> I may have cussed.

Perhaps all is not lost.  I'd have to go and look at my 1542CF, but I
believe that I discovered that it uses either the Intel 82077 or the
National PC8477 chip.

That being the case, if you're handy, you can simply replace the Intel
chip with the National one.  They're pretty much pin-compatible (the NSC
one requires a couple fewer external components).

There are many other SCSI controllers that have decent FDCs.  I've had
good luck with Ultrastor and Future Domain cards, for example.

--Chuck