Reviving ARPAnet

Charles Anthony charles.unix.pro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 13:25:01 CST 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>     > From: Charles Anthony
>
>     > it was shipped has an "unbundled" product.
>
> Ah. I assumed that what had happened was that the set of source files at
> MIT
> was just what was in the 'last release', and the NCP code had been
> discarded
> by then.
>
> I wonder if it's on a backup tape that MIT retained, somewhere?
>
> Possibly; we have been rattling doorknobs looking for old tapes.

> So now I'm curious - weren't many other pieces of important software
> similarly
> "unbundled", and if so, were those missing too?

Off of the top of my head:

TCP.

Source for the Pascal Compiler.

T&D microfiche explaining how to use ISOLTS and interpreting the
diagnostics.

There is a lurking bug in GTSS (the GCOS simulator) that is apparently
expressing itself in a GCOS library routine; I need to see the source for
that routine to make headway on diagnosis, but GCOS source was never
released, and is still tightly held, so that is probably never going to
happen.

-- Charles