Google, Wikipedia directly on ASCII terminal?

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Jan 16 15:21:56 CST 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 02:07:59PM -0700, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 01/16/2018 12:18 PM, Anders Nelson via cctalk wrote:
> >I suppose one could emulate the telephone carrier dial tone and
> >ring back tone with a third device, then the modems would just act
> >like a direct connection after their handshake?
>
> I doubt that will work quite like you are thinking.  There is more
> to an analog phone line than the audio that comes over it.  Namely
> the loop current and voltage are also additional bits of signaling.
>
> I don't think there is such a thing as a cross over phone line.
>
> You will quite likely need something like an old school PBX that
> provides analog ports to pull this off.

Teltone and several other companies made/make phone line similators
which provide battery, dial tone, ringing, caller ID (sometimes), DTMF
(and maybe even pulse?) dialing between several ports. These are designed
for testing and demonstrating fax machines, modems, and other analog
phone gear.  I'm not talking about the sophisticated bench testing gear
simulators which provide simulated line loss, delays, and noise, but
the simple small portable 2-8 line devices. A quick search on e-bay
produces lots of listings for these devices.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com), KC3DRE