data cassette and robotic arms

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jan 10 12:45:25 CST 2018

On 01/10/2018 09:27 AM, David Griffith via cctalk wrote:

> This looks like fun.
>
> http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/decoding-old-data-casette-format
>
> I'm not associated in any way with this.

Most of the commercial/industrial tape cassette drives of the 70s and
80s used standard saturation recording, not audio recording.   I
remember a dual-deck Techtran drive that I was very fond of.  It could
run up to 9600 bps and do searches as well as tape-to-tape copying.

I'm occasionally contacted by folks with old EDM rigs, like the
Mitsubishi DWC-90H, looking for help.  Those took an external cassette
drive.  Fortunately, there's an outfit that offers a PC-based solution
to supply the tape deck functionality.

For a time, cassette decks were used as a substitute for punched paper
tape in the commercial embroidery business  They were supplanted by
floppy drive boxes, eventually (e.g. Barudan).

--Chuck