HP 9816 CP/M-68K

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Feb 12 17:00:16 CST 2018

On 02/12/2018 01:55 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> Thank you!
> Although these days, it's just curiousity and nostalgia.

Yup.  The shame is that some of the more advanced 765-based FDCs came in
just as the floppy was sunsetting.  For example, the Intel 82078 boasts,
among other things, a 2Mbps data rate option, a 16 byte FIFO and a
"Format and Write" command for single-pass copying.

Some young'uns can still identify a floppy disk, but few have seen the
8" variety.

Few realize that tape and floppy are about the same age.  The US
military discovered the German Magnetophon tape recorder, manufactured
during WW II from about 1939.  In 1946, Brush Corporation made US tape
recorders (the Sound Mirror) and what is best termed a "floppy disk
recorder", the Mail-A-Voice.

Most don't believe me what I say that the floppy disc dates from 1946.

--Chuck