Intel 8085 - interview?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 8 22:56:11 CST 2018

On 02/08/2018 07:18 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> At some point I read an article or a transcript of an interview with an
> Intel employee (or former employee) who had been involved with the design
> of the 8085, describing how he had specified additional instructions over
> those of the 8080, and they had been implemented in the silicon, but then
> the decision was made to not document any of the new instructions other
> than RIM and SIM.
>
> I no longer recall which Intel employee that was, and can't find the
> article or interview. Does anyone else remember that, and perhaps have a
> copy?

Do you mean Cort Allen?   His email a couple of years ago was:

manofquest at aol.com

He wrote;

Actually, all of these instructions were 100% tested when they were
manufactured at Intel. The test program used to test these devices
contained all of these instructions and was written to do an extensive
test on ALL instructions in many combinations and order. So, unless the
8085 broke after it was shipped, these instructions were tested and were
working.

I know this because I was the Test Engineer at Intel that developed the
8085 Production Test Program. I wrote all the code for this test and it
ran on a Megatest @8000 test system.