Maxtor full-height 5.25" drives of death

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 8 14:48:20 CST 2018

On 02/08/2018 12:28 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 2/8/18 12:05 PM, Ian via cctalk wrote:
>> it seems no one on the list is interested in discussion beyond anecdotes when it comes to 80s hardware.
>>

> Little concrete analysis has actually been done on these drives that has been released outside the
> drive recovery shops.

Speaking for myself, I don't see this as a lack of interest, but rather
acknowledging the inevitable.  These drives are mechanical devices,
subject to the eventual problems of wear.  Hey, they've survived better
than that old Yugo sitting in the junkyard.

I've got a few Maxtor ST506, SCSI, and ESDI-interface FH drives.   Some
of them even work.  But I'm not surprised when they stop working.

--Chuck