IBM 9331-011 8" External Floppy Drive - eBay 183038271095

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 1 21:34:03 CST 2018

On 02/01/2018 07:17 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> If you want to get fancy, there used to be readily available DC37 on a
> bracket with short cable 34 pin header adapters, for using external
> drives on machines after 5160 (after 5160, IBM stopped including a DC37
> on the FDC card).   IBM sold one of those along with its external 720K
> 3.5".
> Then, if you really don't want stuff visible, put the FDADAP (or
> similar) inside the case for the 8" drive.  Now you have an 8" drive
> that connects as if it were a 5.25" external.

IN my case, all of my drives are terminated in DC37M connectors and my
controllers have DC37F.    Half-height and 3.5" drives are housed in old
IBM 4569 boxes (we bought 50 of the things back in the day) and the 8"
and FH 5.25" have their own external boxes with PSU.

So, no matter what I want to do, it's a matter of plugging something in
and turning it on.  Need a 100 tpi drive?  Just grab it off the shelf
and plug it in.

That extents to not only PC floppy controllers, but things such as
Catweasels (I fit them with a buffer board ending in a DC37F on a
bracket) and even my WD-based controllers and my MCU setups.

It streamlines the process greatly.

--Chuck