OCR old software listing.

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 09:29:37 CST 2018

> On Dec 26, 2018, at 10:30 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/26/2018 03:29 PM, Mattis Lind via cctalk wrote:
>>
>> A good way to remove the black lines?
>>

>> https://i.imgur.com/dvY973s.png
>>

> Oh, boy!  The printer was not properly aligned, so the lines actually overlay the dot-matrix printed text!  This is going to make OCR very difficult!  I don't think you can just get rid of the lines, that will drop dots from the characters, too.  A bad situation.

At some point the simplest answer is to type it all in again.  I've been doing work on old software using old listings.  Some are nice and clean and OCR just fine.  Some are so muddy that they are hard to read for humans, and utterly hopeless for OCR.  It's no fun to type in 300 pages of assembly code, but sometimes that's the only way.

	paul