hp 9816 keyboards

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:40:36 CST 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 5:21 PM emanuel stiebler via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Always wanted to have one, but they never come with a keyboard :(

Mine did, albeit with a couple of keycaps missing. But the keyboard
swithes are mechanically indentical to those on a VT52 and I had
a spare keyboard PCB from that terminal. I borrowed the keycaps
from that. They don't look right (the HP keycaps are odd) but it works.

> Anybody ever made a converter to PS/2 for it? So it could be used, until
> I find a REAL keyboard? Or will the keyboards never show up?

There is nothing at all custom in the keyboard. It's all standard 4000-series
CMOS logic. So you could make an exact copy, or re-implement the design
in whatever way you wanted.

An adapter for another keyboard would mean you wouldn't have the twiddleknob,
but is that a major problem?

-tony