Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Mon Dec 17 18:27:48 CST 2018

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018, Tapley, Mark via cctalk wrote:

> Wikipedia reports there is some variability in ES45 models, including
> number of CPU and amount of memory. Any idea what model/spec these are?

If I recall correctly the ES45s each have 2 CPUs.  The three ES45s
are not intentical, the one that was purchased first had a CPU upgrade
after a couple years but I do not recall either part number.  I have no
idea what the other two have for CPUs.  Two of them have 32Gbyte of RAM,
the cold spare is unknown.

> Also: ?...The AlphaServer SC was a supercomputer constructed from a set of

These were single computers that happen to be in the same rack.  Two of
them have the special HP cluster card whose name and number I forget so they
were formed into a TruCluster once upon a time.

> I hope hard enough that this cluster gets saved that if no-one else comes
> forward, I?d like to be notified?.I?m not certain what I could arrange,
> but the thought of running my own personal Alpha supercomputer ? wow. Not
> sure how to solve the license issue though. I assume OpenVMS doesn?t
> support that level of parallelization?

I assume that VMS does support that level of parallelization.  Anything
Tru64 Unix does VMS does better.  Anything Linux does Tru64 Unix does
better.

Have I made my bigotry clear?

You will seriously raise your electric bill and somewhat lower your
heating bill.  All of this hardware is 120V single phase but it would
like a couple circuit breakers all to itself.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV         	  : "...underneath those tuques we wear,
   Athabasca, Alberta Canada       : our heads are naked!"