Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Tue Dec 18 10:08:03 CST 2018

> On Dec 17, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I have two ES47 System Building Block Drawers boxes, each with two
> 1GHz 21364 EV7 processors, which form a four CPU ES47 Model 4 when the
> two boxes are connected via the interprocessor hose cables. I didn't
> have any issues getting OpenVMS 8.4 running on the four CPU system.
> Maybe the memory is half full, so 8GB in each of the two boxes.

Glen,
	this is interesting! My comment was based on looking at:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00376999#N10010

	First hit on my gurgle search and I apparently didn’t do enough digging. That page lists CPU’s available including ES45, and calls out as software, "Tru64 UNIX 5.1a HP AlphaServer SC system software, including Cluster File System, Parallel File System, and Platform LSF”.
	Not to start a flame war, but I’m well aware VMS supports clustering pretty well, so I’m puzzled - does anyone know why the Product Description called out Tru64 rather than VMS or both? Was Compaq de-emphasizing VMS when that was written?
							- Mark