Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:29:25 CST 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 3:45 PM Tapley, Mark via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I hope hard enough that this cluster gets saved that if no-one else comes forward, I’d like to be notified….I’m not certain what I could arrange, but the thought of running my own personal Alpha supercomputer … wow. Not sure how to solve the license issue though. I assume OpenVMS doesn’t support that level of parallelization?

I have two ES47 System Building Block Drawers boxes, each with two
1GHz 21364 EV7 processors, which form a four CPU ES47 Model 4 when the
two boxes are connected via the interprocessor hose cables. I didn't
have any issues getting OpenVMS 8.4 running on the four CPU system.
Maybe the memory is half full, so 8GB in each of the two boxes.

The real issue is that each of the two ES47 boxes weigh around 125
pounds and they are almost 3 feet deep, so not something I can pull
out and set up for casual use. They were reasonably cheap on their own
to acquire at the time, but the freight shipping certainly was not
cheap. If someone in the Seattle area is really interested in an ES47
system, let me know, although I wouldn't want to just give them away
completely free at this point.