PET peve thing... Editors

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 14:58:18 CST 2018

On 12/12/2018 02:49 PM, emanuel stiebler via cctalk wrote:
> On 2018-12-12 14:41, allison via cctalk wrote:
>> The whole thing comes from a project for myself...
>> I wanted a very basic screen based editor written in 8080/8085/z80 asm
>> and compact
>> (as in under 4K).  I figured first lets inquire of the Internet to see
>> if I need to and code exists...
> Probably something like the
> "TEA an 8080/8085 Co-Resident Editor/Assembler"
>
> Have the book in the shelf, I think I used it once,
> and IIRC, the Source was once on the internet ...
I also have the book.
TEA is both an assembler (not needed) and line oriented editor like ED
(gag).  There are many others just
like it others like it including EDASM (trs80), PT ALS-8, MITS
Programming package 1 (and II), a similar package
for IMSAI as well as Dave Dunfields ALPS.  None are screen oriented and
all add the weight of an assembler.

If I wanted ED I have it as its native and supplied with CP/M.  Best I
can tell over the last 4 decades most
people like me suffered it to get the system up and bought something a
bit less painful.  And deleted ED.
What would be worse?  Typing in TEA from the book, stripping the
assembler and making it CP/M friendly.
Since that seems rather high effort its easier to take SCS-1, ALPS, or
ALS-8 as at least I have source on
line.

The project will be a z80 system and the boot device is a 32K EEProm
with system and a very small
disk image so every K of code I can save/avoid  is a program to fit in
the available 24K.  Wit a little magic
DDT, ASM, and an editor has to fit.  That's bridge code mostly as the
next level is a large device (IDE/CF/SD).

Seems simple but, not.

Allison