CDC floppy disks on Ebay.

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Dec 9 19:05:08 CST 2018

On 12/9/18 3:30 PM, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:

> FWIW, years ago a friend of mine found some important floppies of his had all
> developped mold on the magnetic surfaces. Which fouled read heads, making them
> useless. We found that slitting open the covers, taking out the disks and
> literally washing them in the bathtub with soap and water, drying, then putting
> back in the covers, worked!

Back in the day, I was working with a group on a four-month project,
where the final version on 8" floppies of the (source) software was put
on display for a little celebration.  Management sprang for bottles of
bubbly, some munchies and some T-shirts--and the department had a small
party.

What no one noticed until the next day was that the stack of floppies
had been soaked through with champagne, and put away for the weekend.

Monday arrived--and the disks were a sticky mess.  Fortunately, the
treatment of washing and re-jacketing did the trick.  But there were
some very nervous people in the meantime.

Needless to say, we made several backup sets and sent two of them off to
the vault.

--Chuck