DECUS PDP-11 SPACE WAR?

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:50:44 CST 2018

On 12/8/18 12:22 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 12/8/18 8:26 AM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
>> I also know of stuff given to USENIX
>> that they tossed (luckily some of that has been recovered
>> but I am sure much was lost permanently).
> Paper or USENIX tapes?
>
> The early tapes are problematic because they required source licenses

What I know about first-hand was all the research on The

Software Tools Virtual Operating System.  I had worked with

it  on Pr1me and Univac-1100 back in the 80's.  I got interested

in it again and started searching for it.  Could not find anything

but was able to get in touch with Deborah Scherrer who was

one of the primaries on the research and she informed me that

she had sent all her work to USENIX who held it a few years

and then just trashed  it.  I have since found some of it, but

places that had done the ports (GA Tech for the Pr1me.) had

also just scrapped it all when it was no longer of interest.

Truly sad how much of our history has been lost.

bill