[rescue] Sun2/120 SunOS 3.2 suntools movie (was: advise on Sun2 disk install)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:39:23 CST 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 21:57, Fred Cisin via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Definitions tend to be RIGID, but completely arbitrary.
> "MEGAPIXEL" is nice, but enough to EXCLUDE 1024 x 800 ?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

> "First": The author is unaware of anything prior, or all prior instances
> were in some way uninteresting and unacceptable for the author's use.  eg.
> "Apple2 was the first personal computer", "first book typed on a word
> processor", etc.

A fair cop.

> "Workstation": Any location where an oppressed worker is compelled to
> toil.

Ouch. I have one of those.

> "Multimedia": Two or more Kodak Carousel projectors with a soundtrack.
> (college "DEFINITION", not "example"!, from half a century ago)

Heh.

> One day, our otherwise very dignified department chair came running into
> the student computer lab (3 dozen 386SX generic PCs), yelling "We're
> getting SUNS! We're getting SUNS!  The loading dock just told me that
> there are three big boxes labelled 'Multimedia Workstation'!". Later that
> day, two of the three boxes arrived (the third had been pilfered by an
> administrator).  They were fancy wheeled computer desks for the demo
> machines in our classrooms, to replace the vintage 5150 rolling
> standup presentation carts that had been the right height (projector
> should be taller than desk) and lockable.

Oh, the humanity...

I must admit, at the time, I liked the "3M" definition. It's also a
nod to the famed 3M corporation, which was one of the first I met to
successfully pretty much completely obscure what the three Ems
actually stood for, so diversified was its business that it was no
longer anything to do with its actual name.

So conflating 3 entirely unrelated Ems together, and the facetious
ETLA-style *fourth* Em, was, ISTM, a facetious reference to this.

It seemed like a laudable goal at the time.

Now, we all have them, and we've totally squandered that power. It is to weep.