Dilog DQ604 RL01 / RL02 emulation on ST506/ST412 disk.

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 04:25:26 CDT 2018

Den sön 26 aug. 2018 kl 09:26 skrev Paul Birkel via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org>:

> Which length band did you find worked best as a replacement?

I used the white three inch plastiband. Rik Bos told me that the best way
is to heat the old band slightly. I used a SMD desoldering air gun which I
set to 100 degrees centigrade and then blowed heat air onto the tape from
some distance until it changed from a white matte surface into a darker
brown surface.

Then it easily came of the tape without damaging the tape. There were some
kind of residue left which I used isopropyl alcohol to remove. I also added
some lubricant to the tape rollers. This far I have recovered ten tapes
successfully. Two tapes only read 128 blocks.

I used RT11 to recover the tapes but it seems that the /IGNORE option
doesn't skip bad blocks at all. I had the hope that COPY/DEV/FILE/IGMORE
DD0: TU58.DSK would skip the bad blocks. But I might be misunderstanding
the syntax?

I will try to use DUP directly and see if that makes any difference.
Something like
* TU58.DSK/F=DD0:/I/J

But according to the manual it just skip the bad block which is annoying
since then all remaining blocks is shifted block number wise. Probably have
to manually recreate the structure using dd?

/Mattis