Prototype IBM DemiDiskette drive

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Aug 22 12:47:15 CDT 2018

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I measured the pocket the shirt I'm wearing.
> About 3.75" wide, so a 4" floppy would definitely not fit, while a 3.5"
> floppy fits comfortably.
> FWIW.

Well, that was a significant part of the "shirt pocket disk" arguments.
George Morrow said, "Why don't we just negotiate with the garment industry
to make shirt pockets five and a quarter inches?"

3" (Amstrad) and 3.5" (Sony) made it to market.
The Demi-Diskette never made it to market.

The 3.25" ALMOST made it to market.  It was used on the "Seequa Chameleon
325".  So technically, it made it to market.
Dysan (3.25") did not want to go with a hard shell.  The 3.25" had a metal
center hub, but was the same jacket material as 5.25 and 8 inch. Besides
shirt pocket dimensions, Dysan reasoned that the winner would be the one
that had software availability.  So, they bet the company (literally) on
software publishing in 3.25".  For a brief time, you could have purchased
most of the major software packages on 3.25" disk!  Dysan software
publishing had more titles than Lifeboat.  When that did NOT win the war,
Dysan never really recovered. The 3.25" drives and diskettes that I have
came from MicroPro (Wordstar).

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com