ISO: Blue (usually) Silicone? tape retainer material

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Aug 7 21:19:32 CDT 2018

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Another open-reel tape query for the experts.
> I recall that new tapes would often come with a strip of (usually blue)
> silicone-ish tape to retain the end of the tape.  I've got a couple of
> strips here and I'll swear that I've seen the stuff in other
> applications, but memory fails me.
> It's not sticky in itself, but sticks quite nicely to mylar tape.
> Easily removed and indefinitely reusable.
> I think I've seen it in kids' toys of the era, where various patterned
> pieces were cut from the stuff and assembled on something akin to a
> whiteboard.
> Does this ring any bells with anyone?  Do you know what the stuff is and
> where I can get some?
> Thanks for any help,
> Chuck

"Self-fusing" silicone tape is used for mending hoses, and the like -
fairly extreme stretch, and overlapping wrap.  It's non-adhesive, but
sticks to itself.  It's avaialable in blue, but it's usually 1 inch wide.
https://www.amazon.com/FuseIt-Tape-Self-Fusing-Silicone-30mil/dp/B012Y4NJ3Y/

It's not the stuff that I remember with tapes, but similar