TRS-80 Fragmentation

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:19:20 CDT 2018

On 04/26/2018 05:58 PM, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> On 04/26/2018 05:51 PM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:
>>> On Apr 26, 2018, at 14:25, Geoffrey Oltmans via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> TRS-80 Model II and 16, 68k based "business" machines
>> The Models II and 12 were Z80 based machines. The models 16 and 6000 were the same Z80 based machines with 68k subsystems added via additional cards to allow them to run Xenix.
> I believe the Z-80 was subordinate to the M68K.
THe reason for that is the 68K was available long after the Z80 (about 4
years).
So the base TRS-80 had already evolved to the Mod-II by then.

>    The Model 16 was developed
> independently of the Model II.  While Tandy had a version of Xenix to
> sell for it
> it shipped with TRSDOS-16.  It also ran CP/M-68K rather nicely.  It was
> a good
> machine destined to die when Tandy decided not to be a computer company.
That and the base TRS 80 both saturated the market and also left many with a
bad taste when it came to expansion... least till they sorted it out.

I'd left there before long before it imploded.

Allison