GDB front-end for SimH

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 18:43:01 CDT 2018

On Apr 24, 2018, at 5:38 PM, Kyle Owen via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Has anyone made a GDB front-end for SimH? Just curious. Seems like it could
> be an interesting way to tie an IDE to SimH, if one were inclined.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

I haven't seen one.  But it would certainly make sense to tie in a GDB remote protocol server, hooked to the breakpoint facility of the SIMH emulation for machines that have one.

One drawback is that there aren't all that many SIMH architectures that have GDB support.  VAX does, and Alpha; that's about it.  I don't know how hard it is to do a basic platform in GDB, probably not all that difficult.  At least for machines like PDP-11.  One's complement might be harder (PDP-1), never mind things like the IBM 1620...  :-)

	paul