Int 13h buffer 64k boundaries

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Apr 20 17:35:07 CDT 2018

> > That reminds me of when I phoned IBM here in Ireland looking for software
> > support for their VM mainframe operating system not too many years later,
> > sometime in the early 1990s.  I spelled out every variation of the name
> > I could think of but they kept asking me what version of OS/2 I had.
> > I guess by then the circle had turned again.
>
> Did they think that you were saying "P M"?
> "PM" ("Presentation Manager") was the OS/2 equivalent of "Windows"
>
> Tell them that you mean 'V' as in "Venus"  :-)

Well, I called out terms such as Virtual Machine / Conversational (Cambridge?)
Monitor System / System Product / High Performance Option and got back the
over the telephone equivelant of blank looks and questions about whether the
hardware involved was a PS/2 (it was an Amdahl 5870 but we had an IBM
software support contract).

I must have managed to get the message through eventually though because
some time after I left that job, my former boss told me that IBM got back
to them with a workaround for the issue I reported.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.