8085 Dissasembly?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Apr 17 14:19:15 CDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 9:12 AM, allison via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Looked at 8086 and decided it was a 8080 with a bag on the side.
> > It was and still is irrational.
> >

> With the 386 architecture (32-bit), they actually cleaned it up quite a
> bit.  I won't go nearly so far as to say that 386 is elegant, but when
> running in 32-bit mode with flat addressing it's nowhere near as awful as
> 16-bit 8086 and 286.  AMD did a pretty good job of further extending that
> to 64-bit.  However, it does keep accumulating ever more bags on the side.

Disassembly still isn't 'simple' or 'easy' on x86 as it is on other RISC
since the instruction stream can start/stop anywhere. MIPS and Sparc, for
example, are both are word based.

> I hope RISC-V eventually drives a stake through it.

I have hopes that my 11-year-old son will never have to deal with the
horrors that are x86 when he's my age... Maybe it will be gone by then :)

Warner