Digression - Ah Yes!! The PDP-10

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 20:23:45 CDT 2017

oddly there  were times  you  could   dial into a  broken dec 10 connect
and end up  connected to someone elses  session.... Ed#

In a message dated 10/25/2017 2:18:30 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
cctalk at classiccmp.org writes:

> [...]
UK)
> over a phone line writing logic  simulation software in Fortran. Remember
it
> fondly, especially the  number of times I needed to redial in and try to
> reconnect to my  session. Still smell the teletype. Cost about £10 for the
20
>  seconds cpu-time or so just to compile the program!!!

I used  to use the DECSYSTEM-20 from a Teletype (until they got replaced by
VDUs).  That is why I really wanted a nice Model 33 ASR, which I now have.
sometimes connect it up to SIMH running TOPS-20 to relive the happiest  part
of my school days.

> Roll on a few years and I was  actually at the console of a 10 at Smiths
doing IC
> layout graphics  interactively on their Lady Jane suite. What a great
single-user
>  machine!
>
> (and I still remember my username and password from  TSL, typed it so
often
it