Ideas for a simple, but somewhat extendable computer bus

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Mon Nov 20 00:52:07 CST 2017

If you ever look at how interrupts are implemented on STD bus, you'll
run in fear.  There are only two options, chain the slot to slot
interrupt line (assuming all slots are filled downstream of the CPU) and
share the one request signal - implementing any CPU-specific interrupt
requirements like an vector placement for x86 - or you can home run IRQ
lines independently of the STD bus signals.  Most cards did the later or
just put all peripherals that will ever need IRQs on the CPU card
itself.

STD bus is pretty antiquated.

-Alan