HP 9836U processor mystery...

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 01:05:51 CST 2017

On 11/6/2017 8:59 PM, Tony Duell wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 4:52 AM, Josh Dersch via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious if other people out there with 9836U's can confirm whether their
>> machine has a 68000 or a 68010 in it, I'd just like to settle the internet
>> discrepancy once and for all :).
> Mine identifies the CPU as a 68010 in the power-on diagnostic. But from what
> I remember the PGA socket could also take a 68012 (with extra address pins
> brought out). I don't have such a chip, so no idea what it would identify as.
>
> -tony

Interesting.  So it looks like either processor was possible for the U
variant.  (With a 68012 as a possibility as well.)

hpmuseum.net is back up; here's the document I was referring to that
mentions the 68000, see page 16:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/pdf/ComputerNews_1983_Dec1_37pages_OCR.pdf

What BOOTROM version do you have in your machine?  I have 4.0, I'm
curious if there's a later version.

Thanks,
Josh