looking at buying a pocket PC / PDA

Robert Feldman r_a_feldman at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:26:38 CST 2017

>From: Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com>

>Is there a reason to AVOID mentioning the Poqet?

Yes...

>The original MSRP at announcement was WAY too high, and priced it out
>of the market, but the actual/street price wasn't bad.

>Larger keyboard that the HP (which was otherwise a better deal for the
price)

True, but the HP keyborad is not that bad.

>AA batteries with long life.

Yep. HP LX is the same.

>two PCMCIA slots (before PCMCIA was officially named and standardized)

But they are pre-PCMCIA 1, so do not handle a full range of card types, such as CF.

>Bus connector, with a few unobtanium accessories, such as 3.5" drive.

If you want, I can send you a mask image that I made many years ago for a serial connector for the bus port that you can etch.

> Had LOTUS available as a ROM card!

The HP LX  has Lotus 1-2-3 in ROM.

>MS-DOS 5.00   - I learned how to write TSRs on one.

Same for the HP LX.

The main reason, apart from the non-standard PC Card slots, not to get one (and I have three -- one working and two non-working) is that the video cable tends to break where it flexes at the case hinge and it is next to impossible to repair it.

Bob